Friday, July 11, 2014

Narcissistic, Manipulative, Antisocial--Keys to Success? Really?

The second Friday of each month, I participate in a marketing group led by Peggy Holloway and hosted by Bonita Sierra at the lovely clubhouse in her community. Today there were four of us brainstorming ways to be as successful as booksellers as we are book writers(smiles). That's quite a task, but, again, to be fruitful  we have to keep at it. I must admit this has been a weak area for me. Before, I've been reluctant to talk about my product. I figured if it were any good, people would find it.  Well, that's a bit of magical thinking with hundreds of thousands of books on the Internet. But it's still hard to toot, toot, toot my horn.

Well, on this past Thursday as I was preparing to go to my writing group in Holly Hill, a segment on CBS, the show with Gayle, Charlie and Nora, caught my attention. During this segment, a young man talked about "jerks" (his word, not mine) who become extremely successful. He pointed out three common characteristics: Narcissistic, Manipulative, Antisocial (not meaning a lack of desire to be around people, but not caring about others in a quest to get something). As I listened, I cringed. I didn't want to be any of those if that's what it took to get ahead in the game. However, as I rode along, I realized we must have some small portion of each of those characteristics to survive in a competitive arena, sadly. So, forgive my narcissistic, manipulative, antisocial ploy, but please go to amazon kindle and purchase one or both of my books. They are very affordable. My Mother's Southern Jewels and Julian Carlton--I am not just another George are both there. I would be most appreciative if you would write me a review afterwards. To repay you, I invite you to a lovely Sunday afternoon event in downtown Daytona Beach, Florida on August 17, 2:00 P.M. at 242 S. Beach Street at the Cinematique. It's FREE.  I'd love to see you there. Take care, Ethel

No comments:

Post a Comment