Monday, August 25, 2014

To Dispel Darkness Turn on a Light

Recently a man of good character died at the age of ninety-six. His obituary was in the local newspaper and of course, I read his since I routinely read all of them. His covered more than the usual few lines. I soon learned why. His life had many stellar moments, many in regard to others rather than for self- aggrandizement.

One thing he said really struck a chord with me, and it has been ringing in my mind. I will paraphrase: Put right information in proper hands to get rid of petty biases and prejudices. I read and reread this and had to agree with him. To give someone a different opinion, act and be contrary to a preconceived notion. Refuse to validate a false impression. Fight to have correct and impartial information included in school curricula so that young people can learn to value everyone who has contributed to our society.

If you are a member of a group( minority, women, senior citizen) who is perceived in the wrong light, put forth the effort to dispel misconceptions. Rather than commiserate with each other, mingle with those who need to be enlightened so that they can begin to see you in a different way.

Go Forth and Teach!

No comments:

Post a Comment